Discussion Forum Leica S System S2 Meeting with S2 product manager Stephan Schulz tomorrow
    David Farkas

I’m still taking it all in from earlier at the Berlin May 10 event. Tomorrow (actually later today…) I will have some one-on-one time with S2 product manager Stephan Schulz. If you have any questions you’d like me to ask, please reply to this thread.

rudlinfineart

Please ask Leica:

(1) Please allow us to write a DNG raw file to BOTH cards at the same time.
    Having lost images when a CF card failed, I would like to make a backup
    automatically with each image. jpg is NOT the same!

(2) They mentioned when you last met with them, that they might have
    “focus stacking” analogous to exposure bracketing, whereby the camera would
    take a series of images from a “near point” to a “far point” in x number of steps
    to later use in focus stacking.

(3) It would be nice to have the ability to do multiple exposures in the camera.
    Also image overlays. (See Nikon for how simple this can be.)

(4) ask for a virtual horizon in the viewfinder

(5) when are they going to switch to a cmos chip for live view?

(6) When will the Leica S- tilt shift lens be released?

THANKS

Jack MacD

Insure that the $1000 upgrade to the CS is still available. Please tell him, congratulations on the 1/1000 sync speed for the CS, and the H adaptor that keeps auto focus from the H. Impressive.

Pete Walentin

I still would love to turn the wheel in the different direction when changing the aperture. Left handed.

I heard that Mr. Schulz means that nobody needs this, but I would love to have it because I am still, after using the camera for over a year, turning in 90% of the time, the wheel in the wrong direction.

These are only a few lines of code which has to be added. Shouldn’t be that complicated.

PLEASE!

melantye

Please ask if they’re planing on Leica S Monochrom:p joking of course.

Very impressive news on the CS lenses!

GMB

Please ask whether there will be any firmware update that will improve autofocus tracking of moving objects (not race cars but people walking at normal spead).

Thanks.

Georg

stephan

I second most of the wishes here, and I’m just courious to know why the CS-lenses took so long. I’m also interested to know why they changed their policy and do not allow the CS-upgrade for earlier lenses, as promised. You can also tell them, that if they don’t rethink about this, I will buy Habla lenses instead (especially now with this adapter).

Paratom

Please ask to delay the S3 announcement for at least 1.5 years.
    I dont have enough money yet and still want to feel like owning the latest and greatest.
    Thanks 😉

I think reliability and quality control of the S2 bodies are the factors which need improvement now.

IceMan

Please ask about when the 300mm S lens will be coming before I go out and buy a Hassy 300mm

Please ask about the S3 (use violence if necessary) 😉

Cheers
    Peter

vintola

Yup, Waiting also the S3, because reading this and LFI, there seems to be too much problems with the S2. The investment for me is so expensive that I’d like to have the camera with less problems. – vintola –

David K

I want a dual sensor S3…that can switch back and forth between B&W and color by rotating a dial. And I’d like royalties if they implement my idea… 🙂

melantye

David K;2278 wrote: I want a dual sensor S3…that can switch back and forth between B&W and color by rotating a dial. And I’d like royalties if they implement my idea… 🙂

They can add that BW mode with the CS switch, that way does not change the form factor or add any unnecessary buttons 😀

fotografz

FYI, the top sync speed with the H lenses adapted to the S2 is not 1/1000, it is 1/750.

David, the key question I’d want insight on is how Leica will continue supporting S2 owners with firmware updates that refine performance?

The speculative chatter regarding a S3 is irritating to those that dropped $25K on the S2 and may not be ready for another $25-30K investment soon … at least not without an upgrade path like those offered by the other professional MFD makers.

The biggest area of improvement i’d like to see is the ISO performance of the S2.

I know from history that this is possible IF the company is dedicated to improving the experience of their current S2 owners.

For example, Hasselblad issued a firmware update for all H3D/31 and 39 owners that increased the ISO performance by a full stop. The 31 meg backs went from ISO 800 to 1,600, and the 1600 was as good or better than the 800 used to be. Net benefit was better IQ across all ISO selections with ISO 400 becoming a sweet spot for that camera … up from 200 … and a highly useable ISO 800.

This move by Hasselblad kept the H3D/31 and 39 more current and viable for those owners who had selected Hasselblad for their work.

Of course, AF can be improved on any camera, and if that is possible … it would be great!

Thanks for reading,

Marc

P.S., it would also be VERY beneficial if Leica would offer the option of an extended warranty for the S2 …like those available for the other MFD choices on the market. We S2 owners showed good faith to Leica even though the camera was new and relatively unproven … a reciprocal sign of confidence in their product would be most welcome .

GMB

fotografz;2287 wrote: .

David, the key question I’d want insight on is how Leica will continue supporting S2 owners with firmware updates that refine performance?

The speculative chatter regarding a S3 is irritating to those that dropped $25K on the S2 and may not be ready for another $25-30K investment soon … at least not without an upgrade path like those offered by the other professional MFD makers.

+ 1

stephan

+ 2

Pete Walentin

+3

David Farkas

Yes, Leica is committed to providing continuing updates for S2 firmware. I was told that many of the feature enhancements Stephan and I discussed back in October will come, but that with all the activity running up to May 10 resources for firmware development had to be shifted elsewhere. Rest assured, Leica is committed to long term support for the S2.

Cam Garner

I do believe they are committed but I do worry that will not keep up with the pace of innovation that is needed for the S2 to realize it’s full potential. We all know they have the best lenses that money can buy. When you look back at their pace of firmware updates and the development of the lens line they are slow!

PebblePlace

Was there write-up summarizing the meeting? I would like know the next lenses are expected and what firmware features we may see.

David Farkas

PebblePlace;2326 wrote: Was there write-up summarizing the meeting? I would like know the next lenses are expected and what firmware features we may see.

I just returned from Germany the day before yesterday and will be posting several articles, one of them an update on the S System.

Thanks for your interest.

fotografz

Be quick about it David … we are on the edge of our seats! 😀

Thanks for all your efforts!

-Marc

David Farkas

fotografz;2338 wrote: Be quick about it David … we are on the edge of our seats! 😀

Thanks for all your efforts!

-Marc

Marc,

I’m working on it. In addition to the update on S System, I’m also working on a full review of the M Monochrom, a full review of the X2 and a little something extra…. 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.