Pete Walentin

Hi,

I am wondering when using the MZoom Function on the SF58, if the Numbers …50…75…90… belong to the focal length of the S2 or what I think to the 35mm format?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,
    Pete

constable

Pete Walentin;1117 wrote: Hi,

I am wondering when using the MZoom Function on the SF58, if the Numbers …50…75…90… belong to the focal length of the S2 or what I think to the 35mm format?

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks,
    Pete

Hi Pete

Page 48 of the manual, small footnote.

“The focal length values shown refer to the 35 mm format”

Not the most user friendly manual I have ever seen, but better than the Nikon SB900

Have fun

Ed

Pete Walentin

Thanks Ed.

I should start reading manuals. 😉

rgk

Pete Walentin;1123 wrote: Thanks Ed.

I should start reading manuals. 😉

For many good reasons, reading manuals is unacceptable and may be illegal in some jurisdictions.

constable

I only read it because I had the same question when I started using the SF 58;-)

Manuals should only be read when they are prepared by people who have actually used the item in question. A very rare phenomenon IMHO.

Anyway, glad to be of help

Ed

stephan

is anyone using a Nikon SB900 with good results on the S2?

I have a lot of SB900 that I use (mostly) with pocketwizzards and want to use them again with the S2 as well. Of course, TTL would be great, but I think only A-mode is possible, right?

David Farkas

stephan;1262 wrote: is anyone using a Nikon SB900 with good results on the S2?

I have a lot of SB900 that I use (mostly) with pocketwizzards and want to use them again with the S2 as well. Of course, TTL would be great, but I think only A-mode is possible, right?

Yes, SB900s will only work in AA or M mode on the S2. You can trigger them on PW FlexTT5s, but you will need to set the Pocket Wizards into Basic Trigger Mode using the computer utility.

rgk

There is another reason not to read or possess the SF 58 manual. It is too heavy and wildly overpriced based on weight. The SF 58 manual weighs 14.3 oz. The S2 manual weighs 7.8 oz. For the price of an S2, we should have received a really heavy manual. The numbers get worse when one applies this test to lens manuals.

Pete Walentin

rgk;1267 wrote: There is another reason not to read or possess the SF 58 manual. It is too heavy and wildly overpriced based on weight. The SF 58 manual weighs 14.3 oz. The S2 manual weighs 7.8 oz. For the price of an S2, we should have received a really heavy manual. The numbers get worse when one applies this test to lens manuals.

That is indeed a reasonable point. 😉

stephan

Yes, SB900s will only work in AA or M mode on the S2. You can trigger them on PW FlexTT5s, but you will need to set the Pocket Wizards into Basic Trigger Mode using the computer utility.

yes, this is how I use them with the m9, works pretty well for studio. (pw in basic trigger combined with a sekonic DR)

But I like to use sometimes just a bit “fill-in” flash in TTL “on the fly” (mostly with exposure correction to -0.7 – – 1.5) which works very well with Nikon. How to do that with the S2? Also in AA-mode? Or do I need the Leica SF 58 for this? Or are there other options?

Al Tanabe

stephan;1272 wrote: yes, this is how I use them with the m9, works pretty well for studio. (pw in basic trigger combined with a sekonic DR)

But I like to use sometimes just a bit “fill-in” flash in TTL “on the fly” (mostly with exposure correction to -0.7 – – 1.5) which works very well with Nikon. How to do that with the S2? Also in AA-mode? Or do I need the Leica SF 58 for this? Or are there other options?

Stephan,
    For TTL with any system, Leica included, you will need to buy the manufacturers solution which for Leica is manufactured by Metz. I use an old Leica SF 20 for fill flash, setting the flash on A mode, f2.8 and then setting my camera for f4 or f4.5 and it fills in nicely.

-Al

stephan

TTL should also be possible with SCA 3002 compatible flashes, as the Metz 76.

The point is for me that I’m used to the fill in function of the Nikons, where you can easily manage the flash-output even in TTL. You set the camera in manual and fill in with TTL, which works great. So now I’m looking for something similar for the S2 and M9

David Farkas

stephan;1283 wrote: TTL should also be possible with SCA 3002 compatible flashes, as the Metz 76.

The point is for me that I’m used to the fill in function of the Nikons, where you can easily manage the flash-output even in TTL. You set the camera in manual and fill in with TTL, which works great. So now I’m looking for something similar for the S2 and M9

The Leica SF58 is your best bet. You can set the S2 in any mode and at any shutter speed (all the way up to 1/4000th) and the flash will still do TTL. You can also easily adjust flash exp comp in TTL mode. This sounds like what you’re looking for.

Pesto

I find that when using “TTL-HSS” mode with the SF-58 in aperture priority or manual exposure there is a capture delay that more often than not results in my having missed the image given that I often shoot uncooperative moving targets. I assume that I am doing something wrong, but I do not know what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am wondering what the lag from the pre-flash is in “TTL” with the S2 and the SF58 or SF24?

My only baseline is using the SF24 on the M8…the lag is enough that I can’t use TTL for quickly moving subjects. Thanks for any info.

stephan

I find that when using “TTL-HSS” mode with the SF-58 in aperture priority or manual exposure there is a capture delay that more often than not results in my having missed the image given that I often shoot uncooperative moving targets. I assume that I am doing something wrong, but I do not know what. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

would be nice to know what lag you mean. Of course you have to wait till the preflash is fired until the “real” exposure is calculated and the flash fires together with the camera. As the HSS-Mode is very demanding for the flash due to high power consumption, this can also be overheating and/or weak powersupply.

btw, I miss a pre-flash with saving of the exposure values, or did I miss something in the manual?

Pesto

Thanks for your reply Stephan. The delay that I am referring to is the time between pressing the shutter button and the opening of the shutter. In the “TTL-HSS” mode, my subjects are often in the next room by that time; I do however have some lovely, perfectly exposed images of walls and such which should lend nicely to the creative mind: one can only imagine what might have been there. Perhaps I have inadvertently ushered in a new style.
    I plan on trying to shoot in the manual mode setting the shutter speed at 1/125 and the flash on Automatic while adjusting the aperture as necessary…I am just disappointed in being unable to utilize the benefits of “TTL-HSS” mode.

David Farkas

Pesto;1671 wrote: Thanks for your reply Stephan. The delay that I am referring to is the time between pressing the shutter button and the opening of the shutter. In the “TTL-HSS” mode, my subjects are often in the next room by that time; I do however have some lovely, perfectly exposed images of walls and such which should lend nicely to the creative mind: one can only imagine what might have been there. Perhaps I have inadvertently ushered in a new style.
    I plan on trying to shoot in the manual mode setting the shutter speed at 1/125 and the flash on Automatic while adjusting the aperture as necessary…I am just disappointed in being unable to utilize the benefits of “TTL-HSS” mode.

The delay is a result of the camera requiring a preflash in order to meter properly in TTL mode. In A mode you won’t have any delay because the flash is using its own light meter and cuts the power when enough flash power has been used. TTL control is performed from the camera and requires the preflash so that the camera can dial in the proper power level for the actual exposure.

I think your idea of shooting in A mode makes sense.

I understand the delay, but sounds like it is too long. There were lots of complaints when the M8 came out about closed eyes, etc., and supposedly the delay with the SF24 pre-flash was tightened some in camera firmware. It’s still too long.

It sounds like the S2 may have the same issue.

albireo_double

Guest;1673 wrote: I understand the delay, but sounds like it is too long. There were lots of complaints when the M8 came out about closed eyes, etc., and supposedly the delay with the SF24 pre-flash was tightened some in camera firmware. It’s still too long.

It sounds like the S2 may have the same issue.

My experience with the S2 and the SF-58 is that the HS-TTL pre-flash lag is indeed too long, resulting in closed eyes etc. However, the A mode works very well, I can see no difference in exposure and there is no lag, of course. So, I have been using the SF-58 in the A mode mostly and I am happy with the results.

Thanks albireo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.