Manilaman2001

Has the magenta hue prevalent in the M8 still present in the M8.2, or has that been corrected? I just got myself a pre-loved M8.2 and have been told by the former owner it still had that magenta hue on dark images, specially prevalent on evening shoots. I have not noticed it on my unit, but saw it on a friend’s m8.2.

Then recently someone told me its been correct. Would anyone link me to reference material on this please.

David Farkas

Manilaman2001;2453 wrote: Has the magenta hue prevalent in the M8 still present in the M8.2, or has that been corrected? I just got myself a pre-loved M8.2 and have been told by the former owner it still had that magenta hue on dark images, specially prevalent on evening shoots. I have not noticed it on my unit, but saw it on a friend’s m8.2.

Then recently someone told me its been correct. Would anyone link me to reference material on this please.

The M8 and the M8.2 both have the same sensor and are both sensitive to the near-IR spectrum. This can manifest itself as a magenta cast on dark synthetic materials, especially in artificial light. Of course, the effect is eliminated with the use of the Leica UV/IR filters on your lenses.

Manilaman2001

David,

Thank you for your reply. The operative phrase, ” This can manifest itself as a magenta cast on dark synthetic materials, especially in artificial light. ” -only dark synthetic materials only? And artificial lighting sources like incandescent and fluorescent, which I hope can be corrected with UV/IR or with photoshop, right?

The problem is securing local sources for the right filter sizes for a 35Lux and 90cron. The previous owner of the M8.2 threw in with the sale a set of filters for his 35mm Voigtlander f/2.8 is pretty useless to me. Now that answers my question what they were for.

What brand quality of filter would you suggest that would be reasonable? leica prices are very expensive. My current Leica lenses have the standard UVa. The journey continues!

David Farkas

Manilaman2001;2458 wrote: David,

Thank you for your reply. The operative phrase, ” This can manifest itself as a magenta cast on dark synthetic materials, especially in artificial light. ” -only dark synthetic materials only? And artificial lighting sources like incandescent and fluorescent, which I hope can be corrected with UV/IR or with photoshop, right?

The problem is securing local sources for the right filter sizes for a 35Lux and 90cron. The previous owner of the M8.2 threw in with the sale a set of filters for his 35mm Voigtlander f/2.8 is pretty useless to me. Now that answers my question what they were for.

What brand quality of filter would you suggest that would be reasonable? leica prices are very expensive. My current Leica lenses have the standard UVa. The journey continues!

Correcting in Photoshop isn’t an ideal solution. With the M8 and M8.2 I would say that UV/IR filters are a requirement. UVa filters will have no benefit. People have had mixed results using the B+W 486 IR filters. The Leica filters were designed specifically to fix the issue. You’ll need an E46 and E55 for the two lenses you mentioned.

Where are you located?

Manilaman2001

David,

I am from Manila Philippines. And we do not have any Leica product representation. Most enthusiasts go to Hongkong or Singapore.

Can you help?

/Derick

Brian

This question came up on getdpi.com, I did a quick test with the M8+IR cut filter, M8 without filter, and M9.

Leica UV/IR filter over lens, C-Sonnar 50/1.5 wide-open, 1/4th second exposure.

Leica M8 WITHOUT the UV/IR filter over lens, C-Sonnar 50/1.5 wide-open, 1/8th second.

I’ve used a Wratten 88A filter with the M8, just to see what happens. Reasonable (near) IR results. But I have two full-spectrum cameras, the most used being a modified Olympus EP2.

Just to add: The M9 without the IR Cut filter over the lens has some IR sensitivity, but much lower than the M8 used without the cut filter. The M9 shows more IR leakage than the M8 used with the IR cut filter over the lens.

For the comparison- Leica M9, 5cm f1.5 Sonnar, no Hot Mirror Filter. 1/4 second wide-open.

SO: Some IR leakage, much less than the M8 w/o filter. After seeing this, I don’t mind leaving the Hot Mirror filters on the fast lenses for the M9.

Doug

Brian;2480 wrote: SO: Some IR leakage, much less than the M8 w/o filter. After seeing this, I don’t mind leaving the Hot Mirror filters on the fast lenses for the M9.

Agreed; I leave the UV/IR blocking filters on, with the M9… and it also seems to reduce red corners with wide lenses too. Further, it’s handy as I use M8 as well and can just leave the filters on the lenses. Good illustrations!

Manilaman2001

Very vivid examples, thank you. Being new to DRF, and learning the quirks of the M8.2, it sure does help with a side by side comparison. Now i need to find those filters for me.

I believe the M8/8.2’s magenta hue is a given. What was ” The M9 shows more IR leakage than the M8 used with the IR cut filter over the lens” statement about? New to this. :confused:

thank you.

Derick

Brian

All of the detectors used in Digital cameras are “natively” sensitive to Infrared. IR absorbing glass and/or IR reflecting filters keep the Infrared out.

The M8 has an IR absorbing filter over the sensor, but it is 95~98% effective (roughly). The M9 has a thicker filter that absorbs more IR than the one on the M8.

Put an IR cut filter on the lens used with the M8: the IR reflecting filter on the lens+ the IR absorbing filter built into the M8 CUTS Infrared more than the M9 filter.

What size filters are you looking for? You might post a Want to Buy in the classifieds.

Kurt Kamka

Derick,

I’m located here in the Manila area also. I used an M8 and M8.2 a number of years ago and may still have a few IR filters sitting in a cabinet somewhere at home. If you can wait, I will be back in the US at the beginning of July for a couple of weeks. If I still have any filters, I can bring them with me when I return and you’d be welcome to have them.

Kurt

Manilaman2001

@brian, thank you for that clarification. Still learning the ropes, and understanding DFR.

@Kurt, I use a 35mm Lux with an E46 filter size, and a 90mm Cron, with an E55 filter size. That would be great if you would still have them. We can meet up, and that would be an opportunity to get to know an S2 owner (the first I will ever meet) in the world. 😉

I am from the South of Manila, in the Alabang area. You can drop me an email, derickgamboa@me.com when you are back. And just in case you have some spring cleaning to do while in the US, there’s a growing M series DRF following in Manila, send me a list of items you may want to unload. Like with only two lenses, i’m in the market for a pre-owned wider lens.

Guys’ thank you for your replies, I am sure looking forward to learning more. :):)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.