andyc

I wonder if anyone has suffered these faults found on my S2 Bodies..

I will list the occurrences.

1 cracked Sensor filter

2 Battery stuck in Body

3 OLED display blank

4 Blackout material flaking onto Prism

5 Battery stuck in Multigrip

6 Multigrip not fitting to Body needing replacing.

7 S180 Lens front I/D Ring falling off

8 Multigrip non functioning control buttons.

I have sent one back twice and the other three times and still awaiting the return of one.

This is clearly the fault of the so called Quality Control and I am fast loosing confidence with them.

Has anyone else encountered any problems ??

a copy of complaint letter below…

I will keep you all updated as to their reply (if any)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE 3rd TIME YOU HAVE HAD THIS S2 BODY BACK FOR REPAIR..
    I ALSO HAD MY OTHER S2 BODY 3801*** SENT BACK TWICE PLEASE CHECK YOUR RECORDS…..
    I FEEL THAT AS A CUSTOMER WHO HAS SPENT A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF MONEY
    WITH LEICA M9 AND S2 KITS THE PROBLEMS I KEEP GETTING ARE NOW QUITE BEYOND REASON

I WOULD EXPECT AT THE VERY LEAST A COMPLETELY NEW BODY REPLACEMENT IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO RETURN THIS ONE IN A1 WORKING CONDITION
    I WILL OTHERWISE REQUEST A REFUND ON THIS S2 BODY THAT IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I THINK THAT MY TOLERANCE HAS BEEN GOOD SO FAR BUT HOW MUCH DO YOU EXPECT A CUSTOMER TO PUT UP WITH CONSTANT FAULTS WITH CAMERAS THAT COST A FORTUNE.
    I EXPECT A REPLY FROM A SENIOR MEMBER OF YOUR EXECUTIVE TEAM AT YOU HQ IN SOLMS TO ADDRESS MY CONCERNS
    YOURS SINCERELY
    ANDREW K COLE.

Pete Walentin

Andrew, I think the words you have used in your letter are the right ones. It seems you had really bad luck with your camera. I had two issues with my body as well and found the people from Leica very dedicated to help me. I hope Leica will react to you and your issues accordingly and this means, beside giving you a working system, to communicate with you. This is what I think is important, just to know that someone really cares.

Pete

David Farkas

andyc;1738 wrote: I wonder if anyone has suffered these faults found on my S2 Bodies..

I will list the occurrences.

Andy,

We have a pretty large sample size as S Professional dealers. Here’s our experience with each of your issues across a lot of S2s.

1 cracked Sensor filter

Yes, we’ve seen cracked sensors before. The issue was traced back to Kodak’s manufacture of a bad batch of cover glass and affected M9s as well. The cracks did not show up during production or QC at the factory. They wouldn’t present until later when exposed to vibration or some stressor (like shipment). Most, if not all, of the sensors with the flawed cover glass have been replaced already. Even if a crack develops after the warranty period, Leica will still replace at no charge.

As a matter of course, we still check every body we receive from Leica to make sure the sensor is not cracked.

2 Battery stuck in Body

Not too common. I think we may have seen one camera with this issue. The release mechanism just needed a minor adjustment.

Also on our checklist before shipping S2 bodies out. Pretty easy as we have to insert the battery and remove it anyway.

3 OLED display blank

I’m assuming that the OLED was faded to the point of appearing blank. The initial screen that was used in the S2 exhibited fading after 6-12 months. Leica has since found a new part. All new S2s now ship with the new OLED which is much, much brighter and won’t fade like the initial model. If you have the old OLED, Leica will replace free of charge.

4 Blackout material flaking onto Prism

This we haven’t seen and we do check through the viewfinder for debris.

5 Battery stuck in Multigrip

Never seen this.

6 Multigrip not fitting to Body needing replacing.

Never seen this.

7 S180 Lens front I/D Ring falling off

Seen this once where the adhesive gave way. The ID ring on the front of the 180 covers the access screws to the lens. It is designed to be removed easily and I’d guess that not enough adhesive was applied, or not enough pressure was used to hold it in place while curing.

8 Multigrip non functioning control buttons.

Never seen this.

I have sent one back twice and the other three times and still awaiting the return of one.

This is clearly the fault of the so called Quality Control and I am fast loosing confidence with them.

Has anyone else encountered any problems ??

I’m sorry that you’ve experienced as many issues as you have. We’ve shipped a considerable number of S2s and S lenses and I’m happy to say that most small issues are caught by us upon inspection of the cameras before we send them out. I’d much rather test every camera and lens even if 90%+ are perfect and have our customers receive 100% perfect systems than have them deal with any problems.

a copy of complaint letter below…

I will keep you all updated as to their reply (if any)

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE 3rd TIME YOU HAVE HAD THIS S2 BODY BACK FOR REPAIR..
    I ALSO HAD MY OTHER S2 BODY 3801*** SENT BACK TWICE PLEASE CHECK YOUR RECORDS…..
    I FEEL THAT AS A CUSTOMER WHO HAS SPENT A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF MONEY
    WITH LEICA M9 AND S2 KITS THE PROBLEMS I KEEP GETTING ARE NOW QUITE BEYOND REASON

I WOULD EXPECT AT THE VERY LEAST A COMPLETELY NEW BODY REPLACEMENT IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO RETURN THIS ONE IN A1 WORKING CONDITION
    I WILL OTHERWISE REQUEST A REFUND ON THIS S2 BODY THAT IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

I THINK THAT MY TOLERANCE HAS BEEN GOOD SO FAR BUT HOW MUCH DO YOU EXPECT A CUSTOMER TO PUT UP WITH CONSTANT FAULTS WITH CAMERAS THAT COST A FORTUNE.
    I EXPECT A REPLY FROM A SENIOR MEMBER OF YOUR EXECUTIVE TEAM AT YOU HQ IN SOLMS TO ADDRESS MY CONCERNS
    YOURS SINCERELY
    ANDREW K COLE.

Best of luck. I’d be happy to contact S2 product management on your behalf if you want to send me a PM or [EMAIL=david@dalephotoanddigital.com]email[/EMAIL] with your camera details (S/N, issues, service history, etc).

David

andyc

David Farkas;1740 wrote: Andy,

Best of luck. I’d be happy to contact S2 product management on your behalf if you want to send me a PM or [EMAIL=david@dalephotoanddigital.com]email[/EMAIL] with your camera details (S/N, issues, service history, etc).

David

Many thanks David most helpful as usual.. I will contact you in due course if my reply from Solms is not appropriate.
    Andy

andyc

I forgot to mention that these problems were not noticable at time of purchase and developed within days of use … apart from the Multigrip attachment which was only noticed after I received it through the post

David K

Andy,

What a string of bad luck…my sympathies, as I can only imagine how frustrated you have been. I had the cracked sensor and replacement of the top OLED. Also had one lens arrive DOA. Leica repaired everything promptly and without charge…not even for shipping. I found Leica service to be excellent, albeit a bit slower than I would have wished but there is a fair amount of shipping involved. My understanding is that S2 issues receive priority attention. I know they did in my case and David, as my dealer, was diligent in following up on my behalf. Hope all is resolved to your complete satisfaction. Meantime I’d suggest looking both ways before crossing the street 🙂

Mark Gowin

Andy,

Those are some serious woes. I hate to hear about your misfortune. In my opinion, your note to Leica is very reasonable considering the extent of your problems. I wish you the best in getting the problems sorted out.

Paratom

I only have experience the OLED problem and Leica has replaced mine for free.
    While I would rate the Leica service overall very good and helpfull I have to agree that I find the quality control not allways sufficient and something Leica should work on IMO.
    Regards and I hope your issued will be solved soon since the S2 is a terricic camera (system).
    If I were you I would also try to get somebody resposible on the phoe and not go just through a written letter. For some reason I have very good experience and response and help when talking to Leica but not allways when writing/mailing.
    Tom

GMB

Sorry to hear that.

I only had an issue with a 120 lens, where the autofocus did not work at all (i.e., the autofocus did not react at all when the shutter was pressed). My dealer contacted Leica which within a couple of days shipped a new lens to me while mine was still on the way back to the dealer. Otherwise no issues (fingers crossed).

Good luck with your letter (I think if I had written it the language would have been much harsher).

stephan

This issue with the loose front ring on the 180 mm lens, can it be resolved by myself? Or has the lens to be sent in? I also wonder why this important part of the lens (with the serial number) is not fixed differently.

I may add that my batterie charger was broken, still didn’t get any replacement.

And I also have some dirt in the prism from new, but not enough to give the camera back for service.

andyc

stephan;1751 wrote: This issue with the loose front ring on the 180 mm lens, can it be resolved by myself? Or has the lens to be sent in? I also wonder why this important part of the lens (with the serial number) is not fixed differently.

I may add that my batterie charger was broken, still didn’t get any replacement.

And I also have some dirt in the prism from new, but not enough to give the camera back for service.

Stephen
    the Ring is stuck in place with 3 small blobs of cement glue (somewhat tried and tested I presume) I was given a replacement Lens but you could D.I.Y.
    BUT..the problems are if you get any on the Glass hmm!!.. the other is to align the Ring exactly in the right position…
    personally, I would let someone else take the risk.
    if the dirt is in the Prism and not on the Focus Screen then you should definitely get it inspected as I was told that a few others have the same problem
    so frustrating I know
    sorry to say that Leica have lost the respect of a few out there..

andyc

Hi All
    Time for update..

I have been offered a full replacement with one S2 which I have in my possession Hurrah!! err…..
    hmm !.. it has 3 ‘hot’ pixels and will need re-mapping sometime. did this happen during flight to UK ? SURELY IT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SENT UNCHECKED FOR THIS….

I have had a further problem with the replaced Sensor unit on the other one with ‘column defect’ in 4 positions..it is on its way back again from Solms and I will pick it up this week from Mayfair..I hope.

To be on the positive side I have been given a Premium Package for both units which extends my warranty by one extra year which is very welcome and at this rate probably very necessary..
    further updates to this saga shortly
    Andy

albireo_double

I bought an ex-demo S2 from the Leica shop in Vienna. Had two hot pixels which showed themselves through vertical lines running across the image (why they were not spotted when the camera was their demo, I don’t know). Camera was fixed free of charge within a week (sensor replacement), including shipping. I also had the top LED display changed while the camera was in Solms. So far no other problems, except for one corrupted file (two thick magenta lines running horizontally across the image). I sent the file to the dealer on 9 Jan, still waiting for an answer from Solms as to likely cause but as long as this issue does not reappear, I am happy with the camera as is. The only irritating aspect is that the sensor attracts a lot of dust (as bad as the M9) and cleaning does not help much as I get spots immediately afterwards, when shooting at f11-22. An ultrasonic cleaning system would really be helpful here…

stephan

The only irritating aspect is that the sensor attracts a lot of dust (as bad as the M9) and cleaning does not help much as I get spots immediately afterwards, when shooting at f11-22. An ultrasonic cleaning system would really be helpful here…

same for me here, don’t know why this sensor is so difficult to clean

andyc

stephan;1816 wrote: same for me here, don’t know why this sensor is so difficult to clean

Hi Stephan and albireo_double

The big problem is the Chamber size and if you use a ‘blower’ there is more dust to churn up..I was told that stubborn dust should be removed with the excellent Pentax Orange OCK1 if you can get one and wet Swabs for the most difficult ‘stickies’
    using a blower brush too fast will result in blowing dust back on the Sensor Filter again.
    using it gently will clear the loose specks away but only into the surrounding chamber.
    catch 22 or what ?
    I now use the OCK1 with excellent results as long as you keep it clean after each use with the sticky paper supplied that removes particles collected on the head. I occasionally use a blower gently if there are only a few spots.
    I agree it is the most difficult cleaning job of all the DSLRs

GMB

Well, seems it’s my turn. My sensor glass cracked after over2 years in use. And that while on vacation….

andyc

GMB;4355 wrote: Well, seems it’s my turn. My sensor glass cracked after over2 years in use. And that while on vacation….

There were several sensors on the earlier S2 that had faulty fittings which pinched the glass covers causing them to crack, usually from or near a corner….you should take it to Leica for checking. They are duty bound to replace the whole Sensor unit if it is unfit for purpose.

Pete Walentin

GMB;4355 wrote: Well, seems it’s my turn. My sensor glass cracked after over2 years in use. And that while on vacation….

Very sad. Hope you had a second camera in your bag.

veerachai

Hello Andy

You are the expert in S2 problem, may I ask you to see the attached picture whether this is considering as sensor filter cracked? I rarely use the S2 as I was busy with some certain project in the past year but beginning of Mar 2013 I took it out to show to my friend and after several shots, I found the picture was in a circle. After taking out the lens and lock the mirror up, I found the crack.

Thanks for your answer.

Veerachai

Attached files

Josh Lehrer

Yes, that is a cracked sensor. The camera needs to go to Leica for repair. The good news is that the repair will be covered under warranty, and they’ll do a full “clean and check” of the camera while they have it.

veerachai

Dear Josh

Thanks for your answer, I was wondering whether it’s still under warranty as I bought S2 since Sep 2010.

Thank you.

Veerachai

Josh Lehrer

Because the sensor cracking issue is a known manufacturer defect, it will be a free repair for the lifetime of the camera (or at least as long as parts are available) so Leica will repair the cracked sensor free of charge even if the camera is out of warranty.

veerachai

Dear Josh

Thank you very much for your answer. I will get in touch with Soelm to send the camera back.

Best regards
    Veerachai

GMB

Just got mine back–took less than a week from them to do the repair and they did not charge.

BTW, at least in the EU, Leica arranged a free of charge pick up by DHL. I would email the S2 customer service address which you find on their website rather than the general customer service email.

Good luck

Michael Zeleny

Josh Lehrer;4424 wrote: Because the sensor cracking issue is a known manufacturer defect, it will be a free repair for the lifetime of the camera (or at least as long as parts are available) so Leica will repair the cracked sensor free of charge even if the camera is out of warranty.

This is not as reassuring as it might be with a report of remaining Kodak sensor stock at Solms.

andyc

Michael Zeleny;4484 wrote: This is not as reassuring as it might be with a report of remaining Kodak sensor stock at Solms.

actually I don’t think Leica would ever run out of replacements as under their faulty Sensor replacement policy they would have to replace the whole Camera to the latest S and scrap for parts the faulty one.. err !!… hang on, not a bad idea for exchanging for free if it did happen. ho ho;)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.