Discussion Forum Leica M System Images to Share Seattle Skyline from Space Needle Pano
    David Farkas

M9 and 35mm Summicron ASPH 50mm Summicron 90mm Elmarit, 1/350th @ f/8, ISO 320, hand-held. 10 vertical shots converted in LR, then stitched together in Photoshop. This one is sized down to 5000 x 1020. The full file is 23,700 x 4837.

Pete Walentin

VERY NICE! Love the light.

David K

Holy Bat-pano Robin.

Beautiful image David. Curious about your panning technique. I use the RRS pano kit and stitch in PT Gui Pro but it sounds like you’re using CS5. I typically try to use as close to normal as I can lens wise. But the 35 cron seems to have done a wonderful job.

David Farkas

David K;347 wrote: Holy Bat-pano Robin.

Beautiful image David. Curious about your panning technique. I use the RRS pano kit and stitch in PT Gui Pro but it sounds like you’re using CS5. I typically try to use as close to normal as I can lens wise. But the 35 cron seems to have done a wonderful job.

Okay, you got me thinking about the lens, so I rechecked my LR catalog. I was pretty sure I shot this pano with the 50mm Summicron, not the 35. My 35 Cron is uncoded, so sometimes I use manual lens selection and forget to change back to auto lens detection after I change lenses. This leads to some incorrect EXIF data and confusion after the fact. Then I started comparing other properly coded shots taken at the same spot to look at relative building size. Well…. it turns out that I’m now 99% sure I shot it not with a 35 or 50, but rather my trusty 90mm Elmarit @ f/8.

As to my technique, I shot the series hand-held and tried to consciously overlap certain visual elements to guarantee I’d have enough coverage to stitch later, while keeping the horizon straight and in the same relative position for each frame (the viewfinder framelines work well for this). I don’t touch focus or exposure. In this case, since I was at the Space Needle, I did have to walk around in order to get the full series rather than shooting from a fixed position.

Then, in LR, I adjust one image as my “master”, then sync the settings for all. Selecting the entire series, I right click and select Edit In -> Merge to Panorama in Photoshop…. A couple of minutes later, I end up with a layered Photoshop file, which I inspect at 100% to clean up the various layers’ points of overlap using layer masks and a paint brush.

Mark Gowin

I love this pano David. It is amazing just how good the software is at creating panos now days. I really like the lenticular clouds on top of Mt Ranier. Also, I see some moire in a couple of the high-rise buildings at this resolution. Perhaps it is not there on the full size image.

David Farkas

Mark Gowin;358 wrote: I love this pano David. It is amazing just how good the software is at creating panos now days. I really like the lenticular clouds on top of Mt Ranier. Also, I see some moire in a couple of the high-rise buildings at this resolution. Perhaps it is not there on the full size image.

Thanks, Mark.

The moire isn’t there on the full-size file. This is a result of sampling down.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.