Roger

Recently there have been a significant number of sales of “new “ M9P bodies and scarce lenses at healthy premiums above list . These are often represented as coming with a full Leica warranty.

Isn t it true that new Leica m9 bodies come with a 2 year warranty to only the first owner. If I remember to get service you could(not always) need a invoice from an authorized USA Leica Dealer . I also remember that registration is required (but that part isn t enforced) . Having the cards and the item not being registered don t mean anything without a dealer invoice.

The same is true for the M lenses? except they have a full passport warranty (which if I remember covers accidental damage in addition to normal warranty items ).

From a practical standpoint are sellers getting around this by having the dealer create a invoice for the new buyer?

Few other points …the warranty extensions like Al did ….do they require continuous coverage . I mean can you buy the coverage after a last of warranty ..like you might want to before selling . or if you were the used buyer . e.g. I get a great deal on an M8U and then buy the warranty to cover the risk.

maybe david can help us here .

David Farkas

Roger;485 wrote: Recently there have been a significant number of sales of “new “ M9P bodies and scarce lenses at healthy premiums above list . These are often represented as coming with a full Leica warranty.

Isn t it true that new Leica m9 bodies come with a 2 year warranty to only the first owner. If I remember to get service you could(not always) need a invoice from an authorized USA Leica Dealer . I also remember that registration is required (but that part isn t enforced) . Having the cards and the item not being registered don t mean anything without a dealer invoice.

Roger, you are correct regarding warranties on used bodies. Warranties on M bodies are not transferable. Even filling out the warranty card requires the new owner to put in the dealer’s name and address, and usually they want an original invoice as well. Leica keeps a database of where each camera goes by serial number. So, if there is a dealer mismatch on the card, there is a good chance the person registering isn’t the original owner.

The same is true for the M lenses? except they have a full passport warranty (which if I remember covers accidental damage in addition to normal warranty items ).

Yes, the same is true for lenses – no transfer of warranty.In the US, new lenses carry a 3-year Passport warranty. This does cover accidental damage, including drops and water damage. The only thing not covered is fire, which should be covered by your homeowner’s or auto insurance.

From a practical standpoint are sellers getting around this by having the dealer create a invoice for the new buyer?

Few other points …the warranty extensions like Al did ….do they require continuous coverage . I mean can you buy the coverage after a last of warranty ..like you might want to before selling . or if you were the used buyer . e.g. I get a great deal on an M8U and then buy the warranty to cover the risk.

maybe david can help us here .

Hmm, I don’t know if there are dealers doing this and once an item is registered, it can’t be re-registered to someone else.

The warranty extension that Al did is a new service by Leica Germany. I’m still waiting to get full details on how this plays with the warranty in the US. I don’t know if a second owner can purchase the warranty as the original warranty (if there is one remaining) would theoretically expire upon change of ownership.

Hope this helps. I’ll try to get more clarification from my friends at Leica.

Al Tanabe

Roger,
    The warranty extension purchased through Solms will go by the EU rules as would an international warranty. It seems that the EU warrants the camera and not the owner of the camera. “The warranty is bound to the product and will be forward to the next customer if sold.” The details are laid out the in the PDF on their website http://support.leica-camera.com/fileadmin/user_upload/docs/Warranty_e_M9_conditions.pdf

What is nice is that it also covers CLA – which is good to do before a sale to insure that it was working when it left your hands. It does include in the verbiage, “Sale of the warranty worldwide to end user, dealers and agencies.” which would imply that dealers such as David could buy this for their used stock as long as it meets Leica’s qualification criteria.

Doug

Sounds like there are some inconsistencies and confusion in this warranty issue. I had two warranty type contacts that may just add to the confusion.

First, I got a “demo” M8 from a small dealer (who did not fill in the warranty card). When the vertical line issue came up in online discussions, pixel-peeping revealed it in this camera. The dealer sent the camera to New Jersey, and the problem was fixed at no charge, while I opted for two “upgrades” at the same time. Even before this I was able to register the camera in the Owners Area online.

Second, from its original owner I got a used M9 that had some dead/hot pixels, sent it to NJ myself enclosing a copy of the original dealer-filled warranty card. Fixed at no charge. Since the Owners Area is apparently administered by Solms, I contacted them separately, pointing out the camera + warranty card was then in NJ, and they made it possible for me to add it to my stuff in the Owners Area, where it had previously been rejected. I guess the registration got transferred to me? All’s well, etc. 🙂

Roger

Its good that Leica has been liberal in honoring warranties especially on used items purchased thru dealers.

My motive is really to expose the scalpers that get on 12 lists and then resell the scarce items for a profit. ( not on this forum). This process undermines those that want to use the lenses. Lets say a dealer has a list of 6 for the new uber expensive unobtainium lens. He gets his allocation from the first batch…..2 lenses. Mr Sharpee gets one and his brother the other. They list and sell them on GETdpi for a bundle…sold to a HK dealer. The other 4 on the list are forced to wait or pay big premiums. Next batch will be in 90-120 days.

The dealer loses because 2 lens left his territory ..the other 4 buyers throw up there hands and buy a Nikon. Sharpee is back on the list .

Long winded explanation ..but if the warranty is not transferrable …its a hurdle. On Leica glass not a big one. But on the m9p its a hinderance.

David do you have Roland s email. I want to send him a few ideas.

Roger

Al Tanabe

Just got my official warranty papers from Solms and it states:
    “The extension of warranty belongs to the camera and will be transferred to the buyer in case of sale”

So this means my warranty will expire in 10/2012, one year after the initial warranty expiration. I wonder if you can keep renewing?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.