Today, Leica has released firmware version 1.2 for the Leica SL (Typ 601) which has a few significant improvements. Most notable is the ability to use the AE/AF lock button (the joystick button to the right of the EVF) to quickly zoom into a 100% view and scroll around the image. This small change makes the use of M and R lenses, or any manual focus lens for that matter, extremely simple to use. The magnified view is crisp and detailed, allowing for precise and quick manual focus.
In addition, there are improvements to image quality and the EVF. The full list of changes, updates and fixes:
- Improved handling for manual focus lenses: pressing AE/AF lock button/joystick now zooms into 100%
- Improved overall image quality for images shot between ISO 50-400
- Improved L-Log curve for use for internal 8-bit video recording
- Improved overall image quality of electronic viewfinder
- Bug Fix: Correct indication of the R-Adapter-M and R-Lens used in the EXIF data of images
- Greater flexibility when entering WI-FI passwords (longer passwords can now be used)
The firmware can be downloaded here: Leica SL Firmware 1.2
To instal the new firmware, please do the following:
- Insert a fully charged battery into the camera.
- Download the firmware file to your computer (601_12_.lfu).
- Copy the firmware file to the root directory on your SD card.
- Insert the SD into the camera and switch on the camera.
- Export your User Profiles for backup purposes to your SD card.
- Go to camera menu: SETUP/Camera Informaton/Firmware/Start Update
- Restart the camera.
- If an update for your lens is available, the camera will ask to start the lens firmware process.
- Once the updates are done, restart the camera.
- In case your User Profiles are lost, go to Import Profiles to set the camera back to your preferred settings if you have performed Point 4.
During the firmware update, do not:
- Turn off the camera
- Remove the battery
- Detach the lens
- Remove the memory card
- The multifunction hand grip may not be attached