Today, Leica Camera has released firmware version 3.6 for the Leica SL full-frame mirrorless camera. The firmware primarily improves compatibility with non-Leica L-mount lenses – an excellent demonstration of Leica’s commitment to their recently-announced L-Mount Alliance with Panasonic and Sigma.
Additionally, firmware 3.6 also reduces aperture drive noise while zooming with either the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm or the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm. It is worth noting that this is accomplished by updating the lens’ firmware – the lens firmware update is stored inside SL firmware 3.6. Simply mount your lens to the SL once the new camera firmware is installed, and the camera will update the lens’ firmware automatically.
You can download the firmware direct from Leica here: SL Firmware 3.6
The official firmware notes, from Leica:
- Improvement on compatibility with existing and upcoming lenses from L-Mount Alliance partners.
- Improvement on compatibility with L-Mount lenses that are equipped with an AF/MF selection on the lens.
- Improvement on compatibility with L-Mount lenses that are equipped with an OIS mode switch on the lens.
- For the Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH lens FW 1.2 reduces the noise from aperture drive while zooming.
- For the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 f/2.8-4 lens FW 1.1 reduces the noise from aperture drive while zooming.
Instructions for Updating SL Firmware
We’ve made a short video tutorial on how to update your SL firmware, which can be found here: