Today Leica has made an official statement on the status of the CS lens upgrade program (the lenses which allow you to sync with external flashes at 1/1000th of a second instead of the current 1/125th) for Leica S system lenses. As the CS lenses begin to ship (as of January 2013 the Leica Summarit-S 70mm f/2.5 ASPH CS is shipping with more lenses to follow soon) there have been many questions about the program. Here are the official details:
- The customer must have purchased a new Leica S-system lens without a central shutter on or before June 20, 2011.
- The customer has registered the lens in the Owner's Area on Leica's website.
- The customer has downloaded and printed out (or saved as a PDF) the CS Lens Trade-Up Voucher from the customer area of the Leica S-System website (see sample voucher later in this article).
- The customer takes (or emails) the the voucher to the authorized S-Systems dealer where the S-System lens was originally purchased and buys an S-System central shutter lens of the same focal length by paying the difference between the original purchase price of the non-CS lens and the price of the new CS lens. Customers must return to the original dealer to trade up to a CS lens.
- The returned lens must be in working condition, no scratches on the optical system, and include front and back lens caps and the lens hood. The original box and packaging must be included if available.
To summarize, any non-CS lens purchased brand new on or before June 20, 2011 can be traded back to the original dealer for a full credit of the original purchase price towards a CS lens of the same focal length. As there was a price increase on the S system lenses at the beginning of 2011, the amount credited towards the upgrade will be the actual price paid originally, as seen on the original purchase invoice. For example, if you purchased the 70mm lens at the 2010 price of $4,495, an additional $1,500 would be owed towards the CS version of that lens (which is $5,995). If you purchased the lens at the post-2010 price of $4,995, only $1,000 is owed towards the upgrade.
But what if you purchased a new S lens AFTER June 20, 2011? What if you purchased a used or demo lens? In that case, Dale Photo & Digital is still happy to accept the lens as a trade-in towards a CS lens, and we always provide fair trade values based on the current market pricing. Give us a call at 1-800-327-1776 or email us and we are happy to help how we can. This type of program is new for Leica and we are here to answer all your questions.